Sunday, April 5, 2015

New Spring Dress for Easter

Yesterday while walking the dog I saw a young girl and her mother walking towards our park for the Easter Egg Hunt. She had on a pretty pink dress. As I watched them walk down the sidewalk I was taken back in time to when I was her age and received a new dress for Easter.

Where I grew up, Easter (Roman Catholic date) was invariable a warm day after most of the snow had melted, some years raining, usually muddy. But it heralded Spring and warmer weather, the ability to put away the snowjackets and snowpants for fancy shoes and pastel colors in lighter weight fabrics.

I don’t remember many of the dresses, which had to double as school dresses. One I do remember was hand made by my mother. I thought it was hideous, no one at school wore dresses like that. But when we changed schools, it was more acceptable. I am sure my mother was happy. Although, by the time of the move, I think I was more into pants and less into dresses and pinafores.

Eventually in high school I tended for dresses again with dress pants underneath. I know, most of you are cringing right now, but I loved it. I loved the look (weird, I know, it was well after the ‘90s had come and gone) and it was perfect for, “sit like a lady,” “put your leg down,” “pull your skirt down,” “don’t play with the kids on the floor, you are in a dress.” Put some pants on underneath, and you are ready for anything! It should be said that back then most of my dresses had high necklines, so no need to worry about bending over...I still like those necklines for that same reason. And the dresses were a thick sort of spandexy awesomeness so it hugged my amazing body but covered the pant waist line perfectly.

Still, the sight of the girl’s dress brought back happy memories of dressing up fancy to go to church after a morning of hunting around the house for eggs we decorated ourselves. Actually, I was telling my husband today that we never found the right amount of eggs. No one could ever remember how many we made, some always broke during the boiling. Now as an adult, I am sure my dad ate one or two before they were hid. He was always a very early riser. But in my head, it was always my mom who hid the eggs. I guess I should ask them. Either way, we know if an egg was not found we would smell it eventually. And we had a dog whom I am sure would find it before that point.

The time the dog and I made our way to the park I noted that the sea of colored eggs were gone. Such a nice sight from the morning before. One family was still finding some eggs in the nice lush green grass of spring on this Easter day. A happy surprise for the girl.

It is a beautiful out, sunny, not too warm or too cold, but as the day progresses the wind has been picking up. I think it is a bit too cold for any of my dresses, even with pants. I hope the weather is nice where you are and that you have a happy Sunday whatever your traditions may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment